Thanksgiving

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

We had such a wonderful Thanksgiving. 
The girls and I did make mini pumpkin pies.
This was my first time making pumpkin pie from scratch, pastry and filling - both turned out great.



As it has been getting colder and darker in the mornings running has almost become extinct for me. With that has come the self-doubt. I could feel my resolve to run the half marathon fading way. I began to talk myself out of it. After all, I am not a runner. I couldn't really finish something like that. I didn't really want to do it anyway. Or so I told myself. Maybe I was afraid that it was true, so wouldn't it be better if I rationalized my way out first? Then the oddest coincidence happened. While we were eating Thanksgiving dinner Sunday night at our friends house, their neighbors were there as well and it just so happened that the neighbor friend had just run a half marathon that very day! I asked her lots of questions and felt my mind fill back up with inspiration that maybe I could do this. It was time!


(my warm-up companion and I stretching - every time, there she is by my side!)


Monday morning (which was BEAUTIFUL) I tied up my laces and stepped out the door.

I took my phone and told Darren I would call him to come and pick me up when I was done. I wanted to try out a new route and I wasn't sure how far I would get. 

I never did call him. I made it all the way - 17.3 km around the lake. I can barely believe I actually did it. Remember, I am not a runner, I run, but that is not the same thing. I have come to the conclusion that being a runner is a title, a state of being, a condition of the heart. I am not a runner, not yet anyhow. I want to be fit, the means wherewith I obtain that purpose certainly does not begin or end with running. But.......for now..... I run! My knees, my poor knees. They gave out before anything else. The rest of me was okay, not a blister to be found. I feel such a sense of accomplishment. I feel as though, no matter how long it took me, I know I could run that half marathon, and to me, that means more than I could express.  

I am so thankful for family and friends, this beautiful place I get to live in and run around, yummy food,
 and a strong body and mind that I can push farther that I ever thought possible.
Today I give thanks.

2 comments:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU!! Wahooooo!!! Awesome Shelli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Shelli that is awesome! And to quote John Bingham: "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership to get. You just run." Congratulations on an amazing run Ms. Runner!!

    ReplyDelete