Saturday evening we attended Noelle and Bergen's piano recital at a little baptist church to which their teacher, Malea, belongs. Both sets of grandparents were able to come as was my brother Keb and his fiance Jamie, who were in from Alberta. Noelle was so nervous that she started to cry and I thought that she probably was not going to get up, but with the help of her sweet teacher, as nervous as she was, she got up and played two songs beautifully and perfectly. When Bergen's turn came Malea walked over towards him thinking that he would most likely need her help too, but that sweet little boy, being the youngest kid there, stood up and said, "Hi, my name is Bergen and I would like to play Copy Cat". He also did a perfect job. Anyone who knows Bergen, knows that public speaking is not something he does. I was so proud as a parent to see them do something even though they were so afraid. It is not only about playing a little song on the piano in front of people, it is about conquering fear and gaining confidence. Knowing that you can do hard things and each time getting a little more courageous, which will serve them for the rest of their lives. I am so happy for them as I know the pain of being a shy child. I want to provide my kids with experiences that will help them grow so that they can realize their potential and dicover their talents and not be afraid to try and try again if they fall short the first time. Congratulations Noelle and Bergen, job well done.
How cute, I wish I could have seen them. I am taking piano lessons and I would be very nervous about playing in front of people.
ReplyDelete