My Inspiration

Monday, May 31, 2010




I could not possibly list all the people, places and things from which I have found inspiration. I am inspired daily by the many things that surround me - from tulips and trees and birds and shells, to a book or a display in one of my favorite shops, to something that one of my children has drawn or said or shown me with new eyes, to friends, like Debra Moore and Kirsten Schafer, and their homes and blogs, to the many homes and blogs of those that share via the internet of whom I have yet to meet. I can however list a few of my main sources of inspiration.

First, I have a sister-friend, (I have been blessed with my share) if you have one of these you know what that means. I do not have biological sisters, 3 amazing little brothers, who are now all taller than me, but sadly not a sister among them. My sister-friend Rachel is the most beautiful person, inside and out. She has an amazing eye for decorating. All I have to do is to walk into her home or sit down for a visit with her and I leave feeling inspired. She is a great resource of amazing ideas. I have never met another person that is so similar to me in all my life. We have more than once, each gone into the same store on different occasions and bought or fallen in love with the same thing. For her I will always be grateful, not only for her impeccable taste, because take that away and she would still be the very best of people you could find!

Next I have been greatly influenced and inspired (I am one among many) by the fabulous Layla Palmer at the Lettered Cottage. I love her easy style. Her sense and essence of home, I definitely share. She is not afraid to jump into the deep end, so to speak, and just go for it. I can totally relate to the time when she top coated her dining room table with a teeny tiny foam brush because she didn't have anything else available at the time and she remarked how, had she not found that, she would have used a q-tip! I am grateful for her enthusiasm and willingness to share her home and her talents with the world through her blog.

Another source where I find inspiration is a little shop downtown named Belongings. I love to visit this shop, even if I do not purchase anything. I just have to enter the cute little lane from which this store operates and I smile and I wonder what I will find this time. It is a treasure chest, filled with things old and new, vintage and original. They also sell new hand crafted wooden furniture to refurbished pieces. Everything feels like it has a story to tell.

Lastly, I have loved Sarah Richardson from the very beginning. She is always elegant and classic. I relate to her love of creams and whites, but I also love her use of color, especially on pieces of furniture. I will always will be a cottage girl at heart and I would always pick a cozy cottage over a sparkly city house. Both are beautiful, the former is just more me - so it is her cottage style that most appeals to me. Regardless of what she does, I can always find inspiration.

A friend once told me that no work is completely original. That the artist who paints a picture of a flower was inspired by that flower, and that flower in the beginning was created by God. So in fact I believe that every good thing, all our inspiration, all our talents and abilities, have been given to us by Him. You do not have to believe as I do, we can respect each other's beliefs. We have each been given different abilities and talents - that is our life's work, to figure that out -what we have been given to help make this world a better place. We are all inspired, whether we realize it or not to create the things we do. I am honored when someone duplicates something I have created or tells me that I have inspired them and I hope that others feel the same way when they inspire me to re-create something for my home that I have seen them do. I have in the past and will always do my best to give credit to the one who inspired me and likewise I hope never to take credit for something that was not mine to begin with, but, "in all things give thanks". So thank you to all I have named and to the many, many more I have not. Thank you for your support and your love and your influence and inspiration!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!