You're Gonna Miss This

Friday, April 18, 2008

There is a song by Toby Keith called, You're gonna miss this. It starts with a teenage girl talking to her mom saying that she can't wait until she is 18 and making her own money and rules. Her mom tells her that she is going to miss this stage of her life some day and not to rush it. It then talks about her being a newlywed and her dad stops by their small 1 bedroom apartment and he says how nice he thinks it is and she says that it is fine for now and then begins to talk of houses and babies. He tells her the same thing that her mother told her about her youth. 5 years later she has 2 kids, the phone is ringing the kids are crying and she is apologizing to the plumber who is at their house fixing the water heater. He again tells her that she will miss this stage of her life as his kids are now grown and that it went too fast. I see myself so very clearly in that song. I am always looking forward to the next stage of my life, sometimes sadly not enjoying the present as I should. If I recall my fondest memories they are my first real job and new apartment, young adult ward and friends made there, of the walk Darren and I took in the snow one night the first month we were married, the day that my first baby was born, yet each time I can look back and remember what I was thinking at each stage. I was so excited to be out on my own, then I couldn't wait to be married next of course was to have children. I don't know that I would change anything I would just enjoy the journey at lot more and focus on the future a lot less.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!