


The first one we read was Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. I have very few wonderful memories of school, but the one that stands out as my best elementary school experience was when my 3rd grade teacher read us Charlotte's Web. I fell in love with that book then and have continued to love it ever since. It is rewarding to be able to share that with my kids and no matter how many times I read it, I always cry when Charlotte dies. I know how hokey that sounds. I think, as I am approaching that part of the book that I won't, but as I get closer and closer my voice starts to crack and I do. The words, "No one was with her when she died", breaks my heart every time. That is when you know it's a classic.
Next we read The Tale Of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo , lent to us by our friends the Schafer's. I was not familiar with this book at all, so I was excited to read it. If a book is hard to get into, chances are good that I won't finish it. This book had me from the first page. I love how the author writes as if talking to the reader throughout the book.
Third book we read was James And The Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. I love Roald Dahl's writing. Some people think he is very strange, but I like him. I think that his books have some pretty good messages if you look for them and I love his poems within the books.
I love seeing the kids think, cry and even laugh out loud at the funny parts. This is definitely one of our favorite things to do as a family and I hope that this will instill a lifetime of book loving and reading in my children, that they will associate reading with excitement and fond memories of their childhood. I know that for myself I will always cherish these times.
No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!