we have a hole

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Tuesday September 20, 2016 we broke ground! It almost feels surreal. I wasn't sure this day would ever come. 

I arrived at the lot at 8:30 to a bunch of men standing in front of the first scoop of earth and a quiet machine. I jokingly asked if that was it for the day, to which my builder (who is also a dear friend) informs me that he had to shut down operations because they found bones. I ask with trepidation, "Animal or human?" "Human", he replies, "someone is on their way from Victoria right now." This is not unheard of where we live, as our valley is ancient first nations land. I am thinking this is going to cause a few hours delay, but no, he says we could be at a standstill for months! I was just about to turn around and walk back to my vehicle so that I could go home and cry in private, when four grown men analyze my face, my husband being one of then, and quickly realize that I absolutely and completely swallowed the pack of lies they had just served me on an already delicate string of hope that this house would ever get started. It was, in fact a joke, and I could NOT have been more relieved. I'm not sure that any other possible delay will phase me now! After the relief settled in and the laughing ended, we waited for the excavator operator to return with a hose for his machine, which was the real cause for the standstill. 15 minutes later we were back in business! 







Can you tell we are very happy to have a hole?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!