Our Origami Attempts

Tuesday, September 8, 2009


Mom's stingray

Bergen's dolphin

Emma's turtle

Noelle's angelfish



I picked up a ocean amimals origami kit at Costco during the summer and placed it on the shelf at home for the kids to see. They asked all summer long when we could do it and I told them that we would do it when we started school in the fall. So today, the first day back we spent the day learning all about origami. We learned about the 1000 cranes legend and the inspirational girl named Sadako Sasaki. We learned that some experts believe that origami most likely originated in China, not Japan. (Funny side note: as I am sharing this information with the kids, Bergen says to me, "EVERYTHING comes from China!" Too cute!) We learned that it was a recreational activity for the extremely wealthy as paper was very rare back in the 1st or 2nd century. We did our best and the kids were happy with the results. Origami is truly a form of art!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!