Fast Sunday

Sunday, September 27, 2009

This morning was fast Sunday- next week being General Conference. Noelle is now 9 and I have never felt the need to 'tell' her that she should probably think about fasting. She sees us fast every month and asks us lots of questions, but has never fasted herself. This morning she came up to me and said that she is going to fast today and that she got her tithing all ready to go. I felt so excited for her and I thought that maybe she would fast until lunch and I was o.k. with that- it is a start. She asked if she could go to church early with Darren, he was called to be the Elder's Quorum President last Sunday and now goes for the early morning meetings. Shortly after they left I noticed her sandwich bag of tithing on the bathroom counter and expected a call. Two minutes later Darren called and asked if I could bring it with me when I came later. Noelle sat during Darren's meeting drawing and reading her scriptures. Later she filled out her form and handed her tithing in with pleasure and she fasted until 6 p.m. and NEVER said a word of complaint. It has been one of those days, for me as a parent, that is so rewarding- seeing your children willing do the things we try so hard to teach them. I am so grateful for the example of little children and for these seemingly small successes that keep me going as a parent and fill me with hope.

2 comments:

  1. wow. i am really impressed with Noelle's choice to fast and following through to the bitter end. what a good example of reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a good example of teaching by example. I hope that I can teach my kids by being an example to them. How impressive that she didn't complain about being hungry, and just decided to start fasting on her own.

    That is cool that Darren got called to be the EQ Pres, Eric is now the EQ Pres in our ward :)

    ReplyDelete