Stuart Little

Monday, February 1, 2010


We finished Stuart Little by E. B. White today. It is a cute book. The children and I all felt unsatisfied with the ending though, as it is not your typical happy ending, rather the book is left wide open to all kinds of possibilities.
I love a happy ending. I think, "what is the point in reading fiction if it doesn't have a happy ending". Some might say, "real life doesn't always have a happy ending".
Maybe I lack imagination, maybe it is good to wonder and create your own ending.
I like a neatly wrapped up story, I like to know what happens to all the characters, I like for the boy to end up with the girl, I like happy ever afters.
With stories like these I am always left to wonder what the author was thinking, how did the story end in his or her mind? I guess I'll never know.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!