Genoa Bay Road

Friday, January 8, 2016

We are moving. I didn't actually think we would move again, at least while our children were at home. But we have outgrown this house and this situation. We have shared this home with Darren's parents for the last nine and a half years as our own family expanded to eight. And now it is time to move on and apart. They are headed on a mission and we are headed to homestead. But it didn't start out that way. When we realized that this was, in fact, the best for all involved, we began looking for a house. We had a long list of criteria we hoped we would find. First, we love where we live. Maple Bay is truly so beautiful. Every single time I drive down that road I am so grateful for this place I call home. Second on our list was to remain close to the church. Being only 5 minutes away has been such a blessing in our lives. I never want to live far from the church. Next, we knew we needed a yard big enough to store all Darren's equipment, as this is how he provides for his family. Also, we hoped to be able to stay close to the schools that the children attend. We wished for space for kids to run and play and build and get dirty. We wanted to remain close to the biking trails which the men folk in this family love to ride down. We imagined trees in a level yard to call our own. I was looking for a house when Darren showed me some land.





And then, my childhood dream was brought back to my memory. I wanted to build a house! I have wanted this for as long as I can remember. When other girls where buying clothes and wearing make-up, I was picking wild flowers from the field across the road and making arrangements with them for my parents home. I spent babysitting money on new bedding and paint for my room. I recovered old, used sofas found for dollars at the second-hand store, and dreaming of building a home with my future Prince Charming and our bunch of babies. It was a dream I had shelved and all but forgotten about, lost somewhere in the reality and routine which is life.

The very next day we went for a drive.




And there it was, right around the corner from where we are now - big, and leveled, and treed. Right here, right where we hoped to stay, close to the beach, the schools, the trails and the church. I could not believe that this lot had every single thing on my list. We had no idea how it would all come together, or how we would ever afford to buy it without yet selling our house, let alone afford to build. But I can testify that as I stood on that land for the very first time, having walked and driven past it many times, yet never having noticed it before in all the years I have lived here, I knew it was going to be our home. I had no idea how everything would come together, but I knew in my heart that this was our home.

And so began the journey. We fasted and prayed many times to know what to do and that things would work out for the best. That whatever the right plan for us and our family was would come to pass, and that we would be accepting of His will for our lives.

Each time we felt compelled to proceed, so we called the mortgage broker and gave him the impossible task of securing a mortgage on a vacant piece of land (which I have learned is VERY tricky to do) and we put in an offer, and then we waited. We waited for weeks as our broker fought hard to get a single income, self-employeed family a mortgage while still having a mortgage on our current house.

Weeks passed and many prayers were said. Fasting continued. And then finally 2 months after the process began, we signed some papers promising that we would pay the bank a ton of money for a piece of land, and a sold sign went up.




Now the fun begins! I perused hundreds and hundreds of house plans until I finally found the one! Those were ordered and delivered. A builder has been contacted and contracted! Houzz and Pinterest are being scoured in our spare time as we build boards of inspiration, and I still feel like I am dreaming!

For now we are busy getting our house ready to put up for sale in the spring. There is much to do. Every single surface seems to need patching and painting, and many unfinished projects need attention. I am so grateful that Darren has so much time off in the winter so that we can tackle these things together. And we are having the best time! I only hope we have enough left in us to build the next house;)








No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!