The Perfect Advent

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I have been on the hunt for the past 10 years for the perfect advent calender. I have, at last, found the one I have been looking for on ebay. Now I just have to wait and hope that it will not go for an outrageous amount. In any case it will not be here in time for us to use this year. So I came up with an alternative. Usually I just get those little paper ones from the grocery store for each child. I wanted to do something more special this year. After scouring the internet for ideas I found a few cute ones and was going to go and purchase the needed materials, but I changed my mind at the last minute. I didn't want to go out and spend a lot of money, actually I didn't want to spend any money at all. So I though up a new idea that wouldn't cost me anything, except for a bag of chocolates.
I printed a box pattern from the internet and cut out 18 boxes (I started late! normally of course you would make 24), glued them together and filled then with 5 kisses - Hershey's, that is, and an activity to do that day. I printed out some dates, and wrapped them up, and put them on the Christmas tree. Every morning after chores the kids take turns finding and opening that days box. Everyone gets a kiss from mom and something fun to do that day. They take some work, but they turned out really cute.
I will post some pictures of the tree later. I need to figure out this whole Picasa thing. Apparently I have no storage space left for pictures and Blogging is not free!


2 comments: