Father's Day

Sunday, June 20, 2010

"Fathers have the basic and inescapable responsibility to stand as the head of the family. He becomes the provider, the defender, the counselor, the friend who will listen and give support when needed. That does not carry with it any implication of dictatorship or unrighteous dominion. It confers the mandate to provide for the needs of their families. Those needs are more than food, clothing, and shelter. Those needs include righteous direction and the teaching, by example as well as precept, of basic principles of honesty, integrity, service, respect for the rights of others, and an understanding that we are accountable, not only to one another but also to God, for that which we do in this life. He [the father] becomes the provider, the defender, the counselor, the friend who will listen and give support when needed. It is at home that we come to determine what we will stand for." Gordon B. Hinckley

We were able to spend father's day with my dad, Darren's dad and my Grandfather. My grandpa came all the way from Ontario to spend the summer with us. It is such a treat to have him here. I hope that everyone had a great father's day and that the father's in my life realize how important they are to us.

First, my dad - He is one of the hardest workers I know. He taught me so much simply by his example. Thank you dad for everything you have done for me and the example you continue to set for my children.

Second, my grandpa - I have the BEST childhood memories of visiting my grandparents. We went fishing, boating, camping, and they always had a fridge full of pop (one of those really cool vintage ones with the metal handle, the kind that scared every parent because of the possibility that you could get stuck inside..... but it was cool, and we never did) So thank you grandpa for the memories that I will have with me forever.

Next, my father-in-law - this is the man that, by example, taught my husband how to be a father and a marriage companion. He would give you the shirt off his back. He would do anything for his children, family and friends. Thank you for the influence you have had in all our lives.

Lastly, my husband - If you are lucky enough to know my husband well, you will know that he is the VERY best of men. He gives everything he has and more. He works tirelessly for his family. He follows the Savior's example in all he does. He never gives up, he never quits. He is always there when you need him. His name is Darren, the Irish meaning of which is great and he is, a mighty and great man. Thank you for sharing your life with me, for being the father of our 5 most precious children, for being my best friend. Happy Father's Day!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!