1 down, 11 to go

Tuesday, June 22, 2010


I finished my 1st book on my summer reading list - Standing For Something by Gordon B. Hinckley.
Let me share with you how I read books - I have a highlighter in one hand and a pencil in the other. I wasn't always like this. In fact there was a day that I couldn't imagine marking up a book. It took time to get over that and realize that my books were for me - to use, to read, to learn, and it didn't matter if they looked brand new forever. Well I wore out my highlighter with this one. This book is for everybody. I am reading it to my children now and I hope that when they get older they will read it to themselves and then over and over again. I loved this book!
Among the many many quotes I love from this book one says, " Our lives are the only meaningful expression of what we believe and in Whom we believe. And the only real wealth, for any of us, lies in our faith." Gordon Hinckley describes us, women and parents, as keepers of the home and guardians of virtue! He also says, "Emerson was once asked which, of all the books he had read, had most affected his life. His response was that he could no more remember the books he had read than he could remember the meals he had eaten, but they had made him. All of us are the products of the elements to which we are exposed."
I have always wanted my home to look beautiful, but more importantly I have always wanted my home to FEEL beautiful, of this he says, "I believe that there is no adequate substitution for the practice of kneeling together, morning and evening, as a family in prayer. This, more than fine carpets or the latest in window coverings, will make for better and more beautiful homes. Can we make our homes more beautiful? Yes, through addressing ourselves, as families, to the Source of all true beauty."
We do kneel in prayer morning and night as a family, but from now on I will remember these words and never allow myself to get discouraged when someone is noisy or late in coming or uncooperative. I will always remember that I am beautifying my family, my home and myself as we kneel in unity and give thanks to our God and ask for His help, guidance and direction in our lives.
READ THIS BOOK! Mine is well marked, but it's here if you would like to read it. This is a family classic. I will refer to this book for the rest of my parenting years and beyond!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!