giving thanks

Tuesday, October 11, 2011


I recently read an Ensign article entitled, "What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye to Be?" This is one I will be reading again and again, as my family grows. 
"A sweet and obedient child will enroll a father or mother only in Parenting 101. If you are blessed with a child who tests your patience to the nth degree, you will be enrolled in Parenting 505. Rather than wonder what you might have done wrong in the premortal life to be so deserving, you might consider the more challenging child a blessing and opportunity to become more godlike yourself. With which child will your patience, long suffering, and other Christlike virtues most likely be tested, developed, and refined? Could it be possible that you need this child as much as this child needs you?"
This article is changing the way I look at things. I have never really considered the question of what I may have done premortally, but I have certainly questioned, what am I doing wrong or maybe not doing that causes this to be so hard? I have felt extra tested lately, and I feel like I am failing miserably. There is something I can learn from each trial, even as painful as they are to go through. My job is to find out what that is, learn it and try to be and do better than I did before. I need these trials, for reasons I cannot see. And when I fail I need to believe that, "Through His Atonement, He heals not only the transgressor, but He also heals the innocent who suffer because of those transgressions. As the innocent exercise faith in the Savior and in His Atonement and forgive the transgressor, they too can be healed."
I try hard, but often I miss the mark. When I fall short of being the parent that these children need, I hope that He will fill in the blanks and make up not only for my mistakes, but for my short comings as well. When I feel inadequate I am comforted by the words, "There is no sin or transgression, pain or sorrow, which is outside of the healing power of His Atonement". This Thanksgiving I am so very grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, its power to heal and change lives, and the children, and the trials that I have been blessed with which are exactly what I need to be refined.







No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!