Slow: Children At Play

Tuesday, November 2, 2010


"We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are."

- Marjorie Pay Hinckley

How I wish I could learn this.
I get glimpses every once in awhile that remind me to take it easy, to stop caring what other people think about me, to sit down and leave the dirty dishes in the sink so that I can color a picture, or read a story, or build a train.
The things that are the most important to me are the things that won't be there forever. I will always have laundry to do, I will always have calls to return, I will always have dinner to make.
I will not always have a 10 year old daughter who is growing and changing into a beautiful young woman, who still trusts me and would tell anything, who still thinks I am her best friend.
I will not always have a 9 year old son who wants to cuddle at night (when no one is watching), who will still sit on my lap and who believes that his mom can fix anything!
I won't always have a seven year old, ginger haired pixie girl, who makes me laugh everyday, by just being her and sharing her spirit with us, and who dances around like a ballerina all day long.
I won't always have a 4 year old boy, who tells me he loves me everyday and gives me kisses and runs around like the king of the world in his little undies.
I won't always have a 2 year old who fills my heart with sunshine and reminds me that little ones grow up behind your back even if they promise that they won't ever do so and that they won't ever live anywhere but right here with you.
But if I am careful with this time I have been given I will have a grown daughter who still trusts me even though her best friend is now her husband, and who will still tell me most things, even though she will have a family of her own to care for.
I will have a son who will call me and give me a hug when we greet. A son who will learn that I cannot fix everything but that I can still fix most things.
I will have a ginger haired daughter who will still make me laugh and pass her wonderful sense of humor on to the next generation, and who will dance in the kitchen with her babies.
I will have a son who tells me he loves me and who has a son who runs around like the king of the world in his undies, for me to hug and kiss.
And I will have a daughter who, although no longer a baby, will still fill my heart with sunshine, remind me to love each day, and never regret spending time on people - as I see her watching her babies, wanting them to forever stay small.
I will have a heart full of memories that I wouldn't trade for a life time of clean dishes.
I NEED to remember I get ONE life. ONE chance to raise these little gorgeous, yummy creatures. I have nothing to prove except that my family is EVERYTHING to me, that they are the most important things in my life, that I would sacrifice everything for them. I need to show them through all I do. I need to tell them through all that I say. The dishes will never love me back. I will never have a perfect house, ready for company at all times, and who cares anyway. If I leave a legacy, I do not wish it to be one of a perfectly clean house. I wish to leave a love that will be remembered by my family and friends. Life is too short to seek for what can never be attained. Life is too precious to worry about the opinions of other people. Life is too beautiful to spend feeling left out or hurt and offended, or simply inadequate. Instead I will try and live the words of Marjorie Hinckley and be content with WHO I AM!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I really wish I could still come learn from you every Sunday. I miss you as a teacher--you are such a great one!

    Thanks for the advice. I don't have any babies yet but I know that this will be something I'll need to remember often as well.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelli,
    I know I never comment, I always feel sad when people don't comment on my posts and then I am the worst person about not commenting. I always read and enjoy and want to comment but I am usually too tired or busy to actually type anything. I love your posts and I love you. I envy how well you can explain things in writing. You are an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete