Raptors

Friday, July 6, 2012

While the big ones were camping I took the little ones to the 'the Raptors' birds of prey discovery center. The older 3 went last year with their grandparents, and Tate has always wanted to go. So off we went. The weather was perfect. It was warm and sunny, blue and clear. 

~ Waiting for the show to begin ~



Tate loved every second. Each time I looked over at him he had a humongous smile on his face.
Nya was a different story.....


 ....this is her facing backwards - away from the show.
Turkey!


We saw a bald eagle first. This bird is big, yet he only weighs 7 1/2 pounds. 




A hawk was next...




Then our hostess brought out a barn owl - my favorite, weighing not quite a pound. 
This bird flew over our heads, so closely that you could feel him go by, but you could not hear a thing. They have 'silent flight'. 




And finally we saw a falcon. He was way too fast in flight to photograph (for me and my camera). 
We were told that some falcons can fly over 200 miles an hour! 











 
These little feet were quite tired by the end of the afternoon, 
and the girl they belong to was quite cranky.


There are so many different kinds of birds to see there. They put on a great show. 
We will go back again! 

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I've driven by there a hundred times and always thought I should go there. I know Abby would love it but wonder if it would hold the same for Cooper. Nya is such a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! How brave of you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete