40 bags in 40 days - days 6 & 7: the master bedroom and closet

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

done.

This has taken a lot of effort, but it is so nice to go through one space at a time and get rid of things that we don't need, that we don't use, that someone else could use, or that simply need to be thrown away. I truly feel less cluttered inside when my surroundings are so.

I saw something the other day that I didn't expect to see. I have been ready to give a certain box of trains away for quite some time - Tate, on the other hand, has not. I talked with him again about it while we were doing his room and I asked him if he thought he was ready. He said yes, but only if he could give it to his cousin, Owen! When we took the box over to Owen, it was Tate who was the most excited to tell him all about it and give it to him. This boy of mine doesn't part well with things sometimes, but on this occasion he was not only able to let it go, but to see the joy it brought to someone else. He was happy to do it.

Aside from the inner organization this provides for me, I hope that my children will learn a little bit of temporal charity, and develop the ability to put things in perspective, and realize that we don't "need" as much as we think we do, that we actually make a greater space in our lives for more important things when we unclutter our hearts and our surroundings. 

2 comments:

  1. As soon as we got home, the bucket was dumped on the living room carpet. He put together a awesome track right away and was very pleased with himself. Thank you Tate and Shelli! Owen loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. JUST SO LONG AS YOU DON'T GET RID OF THOSE CUTE GREY SHOES. ;)

    ReplyDelete