automatics anonymous

Saturday, February 25, 2012



I had the opportunity to spend the day in Victoria with Jen Smith at a 6 hour Chris Keating Better Photos Workshop. The very first thing he had us do was to turn our cameras to manual. I had never done this before. He then spent the day teaching us all about shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance, metering and much more. Chris is extremely entertaining and talented. He challenged us to not revert back to automatic, but to push through and learn how to create photos instead of simply taking them. I had such a fun time. I would go again the next time he comes to Victoria, to learn even more. So much of it was over my head, but as Chris said, "Don't call yourself an amateur, call yourself a hobbyist. And tell your critics to get off your back, your a hobbyist, not a pro." One of my favorite parts was when Chris pulled people out of the audience and created photographs, never using an on camera flash. Up until this point the flash was my best friend while inside. Now that I know how to actually use my camera I can take pictures inside without a flash, even at night....crazy!
I am so grateful that Jen decided to do this and that she didn't mind that I tagged along with her. And when she dropped me off only to find Darren gone somewhere with the children and the house locked up tight, she took me home to hers. I loved spending the day with her. She teaches me to not take life so seriously, but best of all, she just makes me laugh! 

4 comments:

  1. what kind of camera do you have Shelli? I just got a new one and feel kind of lost on how to use it. I may come to you for a lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the title Automatics Anonymous! Ha! So glad we did it together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun for you!!! I need to do something like this. Could you please post a cole's notes version for me? ;)

    ReplyDelete