out of the peewees and into the big leagues

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

40 bags in 40 days is beginning tomorrow. You can read about it here and here. And since I love all things organizational I find this absolutely fascinating. I have never participated - I didn't think there was any way that I could ever fill 40 bags. Not because I am terribly tidy, simply because I don't handle clutter very well, and I already purge on a regular basis. But with the girls closet in desperate need of a thorough cleaning out, I thought I would test my theory. So on Saturday while Darren was playing with the kids, I went to work.

5 hours later, I got 3 dressers of clothes down to 2, and 7 bags worth of stuff out of that room! I think I just might participate in 40 bags in 40 days this year!

I also realized that I had not purchased pajamas for my baby since she was 18 months old. She is now 3 1/2. We noticed, of course, that all her jammies had turned into capris, but it didn't keep her awake at night, so it didn't seem to matter.

After I was done that room, I needed to get out of the house, so the girls and I hopped in the van, while the boys (big and small) stayed home and played Lego. It is way too much fun for the 4 of us to shop together. Sometimes we buy, sometimes we don't. This time we were on the hunt for pajamas for Nya. Along the way I realized that I have no children left in the baby department of Superstore, nor will I ever again. Turns out my baby is not such a baby.


~before~
~after~ 

Much better! She was pretty pleased. She spent the entire day today changing from one pair of new pajamas to another.



For this girl who ripped her favorite dress while wearing it and riding her bike, we found this:


And for this girl, who not only left the baby department a decade ago, but is now beginning to fit  women's clothing, we found this:

It is such a fun and fascinating thing to see ones daughter growing up and become aware of what she likes and what she doesn't. I realize that this can happen at a much younger age for some girls, but Noelle has never been terribly concerned about what she wears. She is one of those super easy, whatever is in the drawer, kind of people I have always admired. The kind that look cute in sweats or a skirt. Noelle now has a very strong opinion of what she likes and what she doesn't. Nothing too bright, too flashy, or immodest. She likes to be comfortable and co-ordinated. But I also see her stepping out of her box every once in a while and trying some sort of new and fun combination. It is truly so much fun to observe.




And for me - I found this top. It is perfectly simple and beautifully feminine.  



 I am now pretty sure I will be able to get close to 40 bags. Seems counter-productive, bringing in the new while trying to get rid of the old. But when I consider that 7 bags of things we can no longer use went out and only 1 bag of things we can use came back in, it seems a good trade off. Every time I walk into the girls room, even though it appears no different until you start to open doors and drawers, it feels so good. And when you break your house up into 40 small sections it is not so overwhelming.  


 I made my list - now if I can stick with it for 40 days, my house will be one of order.
It could certainly use some of that right about now! 

2 comments:

  1. Cute new finds! Nya's photo cracked me up. You are completely inspiring me with this 40 bags in 40 days, Shelli!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I was there with you all...Wish we could a visit every couple of months. Do you realize that on Friday it will have been a month since we came out to visit? Time goes way too quickly. Love you & Miss you!!!!! Mom/Grandma

    ReplyDelete