Dog for a day

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The other day we had a strange dog show up at our door. He had a name tag with a name and number on it so I called, but I only got someone's voice mail. I left a message and hoped that someone would call back soon to come and collect their dog. I didn't want to just leave him out there, wandering around. He didn't seem to have much road sense. The kids on the other hand had different plans. They hoped that no one would ever call and that we would end up keeping the dog for our very own. Not a chance, not no way, not no how (as they would say in the Wizard of Oz) In the mean time my children were becoming quite attached. They spent a lot of time petting him, and I even caught Emma a few times just sitting out back on the deck with her arm around him like he was some old pal. Hours later when I still hadn't heard back from the owners, and Darren and I were getting ready to go out, I decided to start going through the phone book, one by one. I called the first name on the list - no lost dog. Just as I was about to call #2, I looked out my window and saw a woman walking up the road. She seemed to be looking for something, so I opened my door, unsure of what to say. She looked at me.....I looked at her. Than she asked, "You haven't seen my dog, have you?" I said, "I sure hope so!" She came in and got her dog, and we chatted for a few minutes. As she was leaving I asked her if she lived around here and she told me that she did, just across the street. As it turns out she is my very own neighbor! Pretty sad that I didn't know that. It was fun to have a dog for the afternoon, but even better to send him home (though he really was the sweetest thing)

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww, a golden labrador! How lucky! That would be my kids' wildest dreams come true. We have a golden retriever next door to us - so for now that's what they get. You should have your new friend over for playdates! :)

    ReplyDelete