Homemade Tortillas

Friday, March 11, 2011

We love mexican food around here. We eat it almost every day, usually in the form of simple cheese quesadillas for lunch. Since we can go through a package a day, naturally we ran out. I had 2 options: run out to the store with all the kids or try and make them myself (going without and having something else for lunch was not an option. I was having a craving.) So we thought we would try making them, something I have never done before. It was the easiest thing to do! It was tricky trying to get them really thin and round, but I think technique will come the more I make them. They turned out really delicious and we even had some fun shaping them like hearts.
(salsa verde - my secret addiction) 
I will have to try making this next, as we (and when I say we I really mean me) go through a jar a week! 
I know, I think I have a problem.

Ingredients

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons your choice of lard, margarine or butter
  • 1 1/2 cups water


Directions

  1. Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
  2. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.


(I didn't quite get 24 out of the batch, but maybe that is because I made them big, or because I didn't get them really thin.)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!