Kiss me, I'm (1/8) Irish

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Did you wear green? Did you get pinched?
We spent the day learning all about St. Patrick in honor of his day. There was quite a bit of really cool things that we did not know before! Did you know:
-Patrick was kidnapped by Irish marauders as a youth of 16 and taken from his home to Ireland, where he was then sold as a slave.
-The original color associated with St. Patrick's Day was blue.
-It is said that the reason we decorate for St. Patrick's Day with Shamrocks is because St. Patrick taught his followers about the trinity using the Shamrock (having 3 petals) as a representation. Although our family believes in the God Head and although we made our shamrocks with 4 petals (because as my kids told me, "they're lucky"), we thought it was pretty interesting! 
We also watched as the people of Chicago dyed the river green (the kids were quite concerned about the creatures that live in that river!! Too cute!). Apparently, if there is anything living in there, they use all natural biodegradable coloring.

The kids also got to try some super yummy cake pops, thanks to the inspiration of our friend the Huckleberry Fairy
Have you ever heard of these? They where so much fun to make. 
I have to work on my finishing technique - they are no where near as pretty as The Bakerella's

But the kids loved them just the same!

And for practice I still have a whole tray full of Cake Pops that are awaiting there candy coating. Hopefully I will be able to get these next ones a little smoother.


Happy St. Patrick's Day!


1 comment: