Happy Mother's day

Sunday, May 9, 2010



You have nothing in this world more precious than your children. When you grow old, when your hair turns white and your body grows weary, when you are prone to sit in a rocker and meditate on the things of your life, nothing will be so important as the question of how well your children have turned out. It will not be the money you have made. It will not be the cars you have owned. It will not be the large house in which you live. The searing question that will cross your mind again and again will be, How well have my children done? Do not trade your birthright as a mother for some bauble of passing value. Let your first interest be in your home. The baby you hold in your arms will grow quickly as the sunrise and the sunset of the rushing days. I hope that you have every reason to be proud concerning your children, to have love for them, to have faith in them, to see them become useful and productive members of society. May the blessings of heaven rest upon you. May the virtue of your children's lives sanctify and hallow your old age. May you be led to exclaim with gratitude as John, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth". Pres. Gordon B. Hinckly

I would love to wish a very happy day to all the mother hearts out there and leave you with a few thoughts:

President Gordon B. Hinckley after being questioned about what the church does for it's women, when to some we can appear to be second class citizens, replied as only he could, "People wonder what we do for our women. I will tell you what we do. We get out of there way and look with wonder at what they are accomplishing".

President Hinckley has also given the credit for raising 5 faithful accomplished children to his wife. He described the essence of her mothering by simply saying, "She helped the children feel well about themselves."

Pres. Joseph F. Smith said, "The love of a true mother comes nearer to being like the love of God than any other kind of love."

Sheri Dew stated, "If ever there were a time when the Lord needed righteous, determined women who can distinguish between the adversary's deceptions and the voice of the Lord, it is now. If ever there were a time when the Lord needed women of integrity and purity who live in the world but rise above it, it is now. If ever there were a time when the Lord needed His daughters to be alert to what is happening in society and to defend the sanctity of the home and family, it is now. If ever there were a time when the Lord needed mothers and grandmothers, leaders and friends to safeguard their youth and children, it is now. If there were ever a time when the Lord needed us to have a clear vision of who we are, where we are, and what is important, it is now."

I can honestly say that I feel the way that President Hinckley did when he described his feelings this way, "The responsibility I carry frightens me....I pray each day for strength and wisdom and inspiration .... Sometimes I could weep with concern. But there comes the assurance that the Lord put me here for His purpose, and if I will be humble and seek direction of the Holy Spirit He will use me according to His will to accomplish His purposes".

Happy Mothers Day


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Shelli. I loved it. You made me cry :)

    ReplyDelete