No Doubt About It

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

As much as I write this blog for family and friends to see what we are up to, I also write it as a journal, a place to record the things that I am learning in my life. This post is one of those. These kinds of posts always mean more to the writer than the reader as I am the one who has had the changing experience. Feel free to read it if you want or leave it just for me.
I recently read the book 'No Doubt About It', by Sheri Dew - I loved it! I would recommended it to every woman. For me the entire book was like one big pep talk, filling me with courage and hope and a deeper sense of who I really am and the importance of my mission here on earth.
I watched a documentary on a farmer in Africa who has devoted his life to the Lord and spreading the gospel. Although he is not of my faith I was in awe of his sacrifice and dedication to the Lords work. The amount of time that he devoted to studying his scriptures and doing good to all those he meets, as well as being a farmer, husband, father of 4 and a friend. At one point during the documentary he said, "This is not our life, this is the time to prepare for our life." Although I knew this, the simplicity of his words has stuck with me, changed me, and helped me to contemplate the decisions I am making in my life.
It would be impossible for me to write my favorite parts of Sheri Dew's book, as I took pages and pages of notes, but I will share just a few and hope that they will be inspiring instead of overwhelming. All of these quotes I took from Sheri's book, although some quotes she shares are from other great leaders.
- Everyone has the power to close his heart against doubt, against darkness, against unbelief, against depression, against anger, against hatred, against jealousy, against malice, against envy. God has given this power unto all of us, and we can gain still greater power by calling upon Him for that which we lack. Elder George Q. Cannon
- We are not women of the world, we are women of God - which means that we no longer have the luxury of spending our energy on anything that doesn't lead us and our families to Christ.
- If we insist on spending all our time and resources building up for ourselves a worldly kingdom, that is exactly what we will inherit. Pres. Spencer W. Kimball
- The only way we can overcome the world is by coming unto Christ. And coming unto Christ means walking away from the world.
- If you expect glory, intelligence, and endless lives, let the world go. Pres. Joseph F. Smith
- A casual commitment to Christ will not carry us through.
- We are not panicked about perfection, but we are working to become increasingly pure.
- No women is a more vibrant instrument in the hands of the Lord than a women of God who is thrilled to be who she is!
- Ultimately we will become what we give our hearts to, for we are shaped by what we desire and seek after. If we love the Lord such that our hearts are changed, His image will fill our countenances.
- The spirit cannot dwell in a home, a ward, or a relationship where there is criticism. Contention neutralizes us spiritually.
- Only when the Lord is directing our lives can we have peace about our choices. And His approval is so much more vital than anyone else's.
This last quote in particular inspires me. I do worry too much of what others think. I do put my priorities in the wrong order. I do have to be humbled, and over and over commit to change and do better everyday. The possibility of change excites me though! I want to be better tomorrow that I am today. I want to be like the lady described by Marjorie Hinckley, when she talks about how she wants to arrive at the pearly gates (read it here). I want to be strong in the Lord. The way to do this is to seek Him. "We seek him not only by studying and searching, by pleading and praying and watching always lest we enter into temptation, but by giving up worldly indulgences that straddle the line between God and mammon. Otherwise we risk being called but not chosen because our hearts are set so much upon the things of the world." Sheri Dew
I was called to this task of which I now perform. Satan would have us rationalize away our weaknesses for the things of the world and convince us that good, instead of great, is good enough. There is a real war between good and evil, but there is no question of the outcome. Christ will be victorious. Good will triumph. The only choice left is which side we will be on at the end. I will be one of the chosen ones.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!